Memorial Day marks the beginning of summer activities and travel. At The Texas Trauma Institute at Memorial Hermann and Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital, we care about the safety of you and your children. Remember these safety tips as you are engaging in travel and fun this holiday weekend.
• MAKE SURE CHILDREN ARE ALWAYS SUPERVISED BY AN ADULT
Stay where you can see, hear and reach children that are in the water. Stay off your cell phone or other activities that can distract you from protecting your children when they are near the water.
• Learn CPR
• Teach children to swim.
• Children should never swim alone and swim only in designated and supervised swimming areas.
• If you live in an area with a pool, make sure that there are barriers around the pool to keep children out when you are not able to supervise them.
• Use life jackets and personal flotation devices.
• Every occupant of a vehicle should wear a seat belt, even if driving short distances.
• All children under the age of 13 should ride in the rear seat of a vehicle and children under at least the age of 8 should be secured properly in a car seat or booster.
• If you are driving, your primary job is to drive and arrive safely at your destination. Do not allow distractions to put yourself and others at risk for injury or death. The phone call or text can wait until you finish your task of driving.
• Do not drive after consuming alcohol or any substance that impairs your cognitive ability to focus on the task of driving.
Enjoy the long weekend this Memorial Day, but please make it a safe weekend!